My Blog List


amazing photographer

amazing photographer
.......she captured our trip on film

Final slideshows

Last 2 slideshows from Ethiopia Email me for link to others-alexander@integrity.com

visitors

Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, January 17, 2008

other end of the phone


                                                      Article Pic

My brother and his wife moved to the inner city of Dallas several years ago.  Trey was already working in inner city ministry through their church, but felt called to move into the neighborhood and live among the people. It is called incarnational ministry and honestly we (speaking for my family, sorry you guys don't have blogs) had obvious concerns right at first.  This was the hood.  This was where we would take gifts at Christmas time, not where we spent Christmas.

Fast forward several years later, and I can't imagine them living anywhere else.  Honest, honest.  Trey runs an amazing ministry called Mercy Street, check it out and you will be blessed! The Lord is using them in lives of these precious children.  Children that have very little supervision are now under the watchful eye of Trey and Melissa, children that often go hungry, now sit and break bread with the Hill family, children that normally would not hear about the love of Jesus, now know of the need for and gift of the Savior!  

They have many children run through their home on any given day! Many come to play Wii or jump on the trampoline, but I think most come to get a hug from a mother, a healthy snack prepared with love, a band aid for a boo-boo, help with homework, and to just be in a home where the spirit of Christ resides.  

These children have stories that will break your heart, but they also provide some rich comedic material for those that know and love this family!!  I have said before, Melissa is one of the funniest, quick-witted people that I know.  She is a gem of a sister-in-law and one of my dearest friends:)

Melissa and I talk on the phone daily.  Since we both have four kids, we are use to and almost oblivious to the constant interruptions those precious cherubs provide.  Yesterday's phone chat gave me a wonderful glimpse into the life that the Lord has called her to live:)


talking, talking, talking......I hear her front door bell ring. "Hang on Em"

"hey, guys. How are you?.... we are trying to get our homework done so they can't...... ohhh,  fine you can jump but just you guys.....J, no bad language today b/c Mr. Hill was not happy about that yesterday......B, DO NOT hurt anyone out there, follow the rules!!......remember to not even think about touching the fence- better yet, don't even look at the fence (apparently, yesterday the adult male neighbor called the kids *&*%$# for touching the fence that the Hill's own half of, the half that they were touching)....that IS a busted lip, you probably shouldn't eat an orange today Q, not because I don't want to share my oranges buddy, b/c it will hurt your lip....hey, go on back....Please put THAT down,  THAT is not a toy....they are all out back......I will help you with your homework in just a minute, great job K!....Tee, help them out, I can't come right now b/c I have something in the fry pan.....yes, you can go on back!"

All the while, I am smiling and praising Jesus that they have answered His call.  Lives are being transformed by the grace of God, and these precious ones get to experience His love in a home in the hood!


On an adoption note, we think we are the second family in line for our sibling age request. This isn't official, but the result of some serious forensic blogging that takes place out there. Katy and Jamie are super-sleuths!! That is fun for us to think about but honestly doesn't mean much- it still could be tomorrow or 3 months from now. Keep praying please:)

18 comments:

Nicholas said...

I don't know how you guys to it with all those children - God Bless your entire family - what a world of good they're doing for those kids - xo Lor

Keva said...

Wow! I am amazed anytime I hear a story like this. We had a quest speaker at our church a few weeks ago that did the very thing your brother did and moved to the ministry. It really moved me and made me question a lot of MY desires and where God is calling us. We would love to minister in an urban area one day, we shall wait an see where we end up. Truly inspiring.

Great news on the adoption front. Checking everyday! AND praying!

Candy said...

Em,
Great post and a joy to this mom's (and mother in law's) heart! I love that you are ALL sharing life and that we are all on the same ultimate journey home.
Let's never give up encouraging each other along the way. This is a marathon, not a sprint! Let's all run with endurance the race before us.
I love you,
Mom

Candy said...

Me too!
Love, Dad

Nicholas said...

I cannot NOT comment on how adorable and cute your parents are! I love the "me too" from Dad!

How precious!!!! It is no wonder where you received your great wisdom and faith! xoxo Lor

Natalie Fournet said...

What a great post...though the title and pic made me get excited about a referral for a quick second. Kind of tricky for slow people like me:) See you Saturday! Natalie

Gurskes said...

God has definitly taken them by the hand and lead there hearts down an amazing path. There lives sound blessed everyday by these resiliant (sp?) children. How wonderful that God is working in both directions of the children and your family. Very inspiring! Thanks Em.

Laurzie said...

OK, I've said to before, but I want in your family, too, Em! Can we share? I just love hearing the amazing, beautiful, and wonderful ways that the Lord is working through you all. It warms my heart.
And, YEA!!! that you are inching up the referral list. It won't be months. It'll be much sooner, my friend.
Love and a hug from your SoCal sis! xoxo :)

Laurzie said...

I read this today on my Uncle Ray's blog (http://christisdeeperstill.blogspot.com/)
and went back to find it because this post reminded me of it.
"Unbelief says, 'Some other time, but not now; some other place, but not here; some other people, but not us.' Faith says, 'Anything he did anywhere else he will do here; anything he did any other time he is willing to do now; anything he ever did for other people he is willing to do for us.' With our feet on the ground, and our head cool, but with our heart ablaze with the love of God, we walk out in this fullness of the Spirit, if we will yield and obey. God wants to work through you!"

A. W. Tozer, The Counselor: Straight Talk about the Holy Spirit from a 20th-Century Prophet, page 116.

Awesome, huh? That's what God wants from us... hearts ablaze ready to do whatever is His will. Blessing!

HoodMama said...

Em, you forgot about hearing this...
"Mom, I goed poop! Will you come wipe my booty?!? MOM!"
Thanks for this post. It's funny to read what my house must sound like. A wee bit crazy!

MissHannah said...

I've never met anyone in my life who handles the chaos like Melissa.

She was uniquely created for the role of Hood Mama.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

i will have to check out this ministry ... as we search for God's calling on our life and Scott's next job i love to see what God is doing in other's lives ... love ya sweet sister and i am anxiously waiting for your phone call also !!! it is going to be amazing !!!

Anonymous said...

Love reading your Blog Em . . . and hearing too how God is using your family, your extended family for his kingdom work! So amazingly fun looking back over the past 15 years and seeing where God has taken you all and how he is choosing to use you now!!

Know that I am praying for you all as you wait. Can't wait until I pop on the blog and see "We've gotten our referral!"

Would love to get together sometime soon! - Kristin L.

Stacy Ann said...

Personally I think it means Monday but that's just my opinion. ;) Have a great weekend!

steffany said...

I love it. How awesome to be used by God and obedient enough to follow.

A Team said...

I'm so glad to know you emily!

That is so neat that your brother and sister in law are in inner city ministry. I bet she's just as blessed to call you sister in law... You'd be one INCREDIBLE sister in law.

I dig you

Anonymous said...

I love her and her blog and her awesome life!

And I ALSO love that you guys are so close on the list! YAY!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

emily,
your story about melissa warmed my heart! I truly had a visual while reading. I've been praying for your family and your hearts as you await "the call." I want to encourage you in your time that's left, to enjoy your family. Be intentional about making some "sweet" memories and just enjoying them. This is the calm before the storm, rest in it! Life is going to significantly change (for good) in so many ways, so just heed the moment. i love you and will continue to pray for you and your family.

About Me

My Photo
emily
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from becoming polluted by the world." James 1:27
View my complete profile

Followers