My Blog List


amazing photographer

amazing photographer
.......she captured our trip on film

Final slideshows

Last 2 slideshows from Ethiopia Email me for link to others-alexander@integrity.com

visitors

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, October 26, 2009

running for water

"I will never forget training for my 1st marathon. I was in Africa that summer and got to run all of South Africa which was a dream. I ran 2 days a week in the townships and it struck me so deeply that here in America it is a luxury to run. We run because we have so much excess we run to lose weight. In South Africa people walk 5-6 miles a day just so they can work or go to school, some just to put food on the table for for clean water. It was a humbling contrast for me."

This is a quote from my sweet friend, Rainey. Rainey is running in a half-marathon this coming weekend and mentioned that she was behind in her training and needed something to motivate her to do well and finish the race.
She contacted me with the idea to have people donate money per mile for a race next year....then she said "Here is the crazy part.....instead of waiting until next year I thought maybe it would work this year. Stranger things have happened. If you write in your blog and ask people to send an email committing to donate per mile or lump sum, then you can tell me how many people are committed, ad a link where they can donate, and I will have to finish this year (which let me tell you might kill me)"
I love this girl and her heart for Africa. She is one of my friends that just gets it, she gets that much of my own heart resides there and I know that about her as well!
So here is the deal....the economy stinks, you guys give to SO many great causes and she is running in less than 1 week, but we decided to put up the link for the well Moody's office is building (read post here) with charity:water. The awesome thing about this organization is that 100% of your donation goes to providing clean water!! She told me today that if someone donates any amount of money, that is better than running for nothing. She is getting a shirt made to run in to remind her when the legs start to burn and her heart is pumping, that there are those in Africa without access to clean drinking water and their legs burn and hearts pump just making the long trek to the water hole.
If you want to donate to Rainey's run- go HERE. It is the well that Moody is matching a dollar per wooden nickle received by his patients. This money raised will be over and above that and will just allow charity:water to continue to provide clean drinking water to more people. Be sure and donate on the specific project page and not the main charity:water page.
I'm so inspired by those making a difference in each and every way that they can! Go Rainey Go. We will be cheering you on each and every mile. You can do it.

6 comments:

Nicholas said...

AWESOME!!!

Lori S said...

GREAT IDEA!!!

Jen said...

Didn't I say that the next post you wrote was going to be about running a marathon???? Such a good idea.

Heather said...

Yea for Rainey!!! Good luck to her! So awesome! You might want to check out my last post too!

Thanks Alexanders for being so inspiring! :)

michelle said...

Alexander family, congratulations on leaving 11/8 to go and get Seth. He is just perfect, perfectly made in HIS image just for your family! So happy for you all!!

Rahel said...

You leave soon! You must be getting SOOO excited!!! You had asked if our daughter was with Gladney, and she is actually not in the Gladney care center. She is in the MOther Teresa home in Sidist Kilo. (She used to be at the big one in Asco). Sadly, no care packages for her :(

Have a great trip!

About Me

My Photo
emily
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from becoming polluted by the world." James 1:27
View my complete profile

Followers