My Blog List

amazing photographer

amazing photographer
.......she captured our trip on film

Final slideshows

Last 2 slideshows from Ethiopia Email me for link to


Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 2

After getting a few hours of shut eye, we were up to begin our first full day!  We eat our breakfasts downstairs in our awesome hotel, TDS.  It is always a great way to start the day over delicious buna, oatmeal, eggs, toast, etc.... We headed out early to help deliver wheelchairs with our friends with Tesfa Means Hope and UCP Wheels for Humanity.  What an amazing experience for so many reasons.  As a mama to a kiddo that requires a wheelchair for mobility and was also born in Ethiopia, this is so close to home.  To see the joy on the faces of those getting bright, shiny new yellow wheelchairs was simply priceless.  I think it was the perfect way to kick off our trip!  Everyone pitched in to help pump up tires or transfer someone to their new chair!  Proud of you Drew for the incredible job you did pulling this off!!

We then headed to Beza International for worship! Always great to be there.

From Beza we headed to Top View for lunch.  Great Sunday buffet!!

Where is my sweet Moody during all of this you ask??? How kind.  Well he was back out before the team left to try to resolve the customs shenanigans! He was with 2 dear brothers and they were pleading their case, showing the proper documentation and jumping through hoop after hoop in an effort to get our supplies out of customs and into our hands so we could treat patients on Monday.  Time after time, he thought they had satisfied the last request, only to be stopped again from taking the supplies from the airport.  At one time, he was literally halfway out of the airport and some (in Moody's words "16 year old kid) came running after him and made him return back inside. :(  He hated to be missing out on what the team were experiencing.  We continued to pray, reached out to those at home to pray and simply rested in His goodness and grace.

We returned to the hotel to inventory what we did get through (several people got bags out before they stopped us) and organize the conference room.  The TDS has a great conference room that we take over durning our stay.  It holds all of our supplies and allows us to keep things organized for each day.  

A few of the Drs. estimated that based on the limited supplies that we had, they would be able to treat approximately 150 patients before we ran out of anesthetic and needles.  Those are the two main determining factors other than numbers of actual instruments. This would be not even one full day of dentistry.  So we continued to trust and pray that the supplies would be released from customs.

We had dinner that night to discuss the dental days, assign jobs, etc.  We packed up for the next day and went to bed!

Tomorrow, we meet our sweet baby girl!


Shannon- said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! PRAISES! The picture of the wheelchairs and the racing chairs-- wow wow wow!!

Heidi K. said...

LOVE reading these. Talked to my sister, Holli, she couldn't say enough about you and Moody and her time in Ethiopia. Sounded amazing! excited for to read day 3 on :).

Robbins' Nest said...

I've loved reading these updates, so glad you're home safe and can't wait to read more!!

Kameron said...

PRAISE GOD about the wheelchairs. Oh how wonderful. thank you for sharing.

Lyndsay said...

so amazing, and praying that next year we will be joining you all!

About Me

My Photo
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from becoming polluted by the world." James 1:27
View my complete profile