My Blog List


amazing photographer

amazing photographer
.......she captured our trip on film

Final slideshows

Last 2 slideshows from Ethiopia Email me for link to others-alexander@integrity.com

visitors

Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 22, 2010

world water day 2010

Today is World Water Day. It is estimated that over 1.1 billion people rely on unsafe drinking water to survive. That means--ONE IN EIGHT PEOPLE ON THE PLANET DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO SAFE, CLEAN DRINKING WATER. Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all sickness and disease, and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Many people in the developing world, usually women and children, walk more than three hours every day to fetch water that is likely to make them sick. Those hours are crucial, preventing many from working or attending school. Additionally, collecting water puts them at greater risk of sexual harassment and assault. Children are especially vulnerable to the consequences of unsafe water. Of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and a lack of basic sanitation, 90% are children under 5 years old. That is just not right! (charity:water)
Watch the video below to see what charity:water is doing in Haiti to help remedy the problem there.

You can also purchase a shirt from Overlooked

Front says....

Maji Ni Uzima (water is life)



Back says....

Over 6,000 people die every day from drinking unsafe water. The purchase of this shirt will provide someone with clean water for 5 years.

You will receive a FREE water bottle with the purchase of a shirt!


Be thankful today as you wash your hands, get a cold glass of water from the faucet, shower, cook, etc. that this is a problem that most of us simply can't relate to on a daily basis.

5 comments:

meg said...

Thanks for calling my attention to this. i just bought two shirts- one for me and one for my boyfriend. We'll just have to make sure not to wear them on the same day- nerd alert!

-meg

Tymm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tymm said...

just bought my shirt...

Today is a big day...

no clean water = no nutritional formula

and we know what that equals...

Thanks for your hearts!!!

** (sorry for the removal - i had a typo!!)

Kat said...

Thanks for reminding me! I've written about it on my blog and linked to yours as well.

Gwen Oatsvall said...

sister i am trying to save for Uganda and here I go again buying something off your blog .... hee hee ... my jewelry came from that Rachel / Lily project you posted ... I am off to get my water bottle now ... I seriously don't even know how to thank God somedays for sending you to be my sister !!! love ya ... glad we could chat for a sec today while you were in SAM's ... just hearing your voice brought peace to me ...

About Me

My Photo
emily
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from becoming polluted by the world." James 1:27
View my complete profile

Followers